Greg Haley, Home Inspection LLC Greg Haley, Home Inspection LLC
HOME · Pricing · Virtual Home Inspection · Inspection Agreement · Links · Contact Greg Haley ·

Follow Greg Haley on Facebook
Resources & Information
Current list of NY State Certified Radon Testers
The Correct Way to Do Radon Testing
Current List of NY State Certified Radon Mitigation Contractors
NY Certified Radon Testing Information
Radiation & Radon Information
Radon-Resistant New Construction (RRNC)
EPA Radon PSAs
Radon Mitigation Standards
Radon Map of NY State
ASHI Code of Ethics
Carbon Monoxide Information
Septic System Information
Purifying a Well System
Mold Information and Treatment
Faulty Plastic Heating Vent Pipe
Lead Paint Information
Federal Pacific Electric Panel Problems
GFCI Information
Energy Saving Tips

Government Information
NYSDOH Order form for home radon test kit
Mold - Indoor Air
(EPA) General Radon Information
Asbestos in Your Home
Mold - Indoor Air (EPA)
Lead Paint (NYSDOH)
US Consumer Product Safety Commission
Wadsworth Center • NYS Department of Health
CNY Coalition for Healthy Indoor Air
American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists


Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. Deaths are usually caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from combustion in poorly ventilated enclosures. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are: headache, nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness and confusion. The severity of symptoms depends on the concentration of gas. Low level exposure produces chronic, flu-like symptoms and is usually not recognized.

Carbon monoxide gas is produced when fossil fuel burns incompletely because of insufficient oxygen. During incomplete combustion, the carbon and hydrogen combine to form carbon dioxide, water, heat, and deadly carbon monoxide. In properly installed and maintained appliances gas burns clean and produces only small amounts of carbon monoxide. Anything which disrupts the burning process or results in a shortage of oxygen can increase carbon monoxide production. Wood, coal, and charcoal fires always produce carbon monoxide, as do gasoline engines.

Exposures in parts per million (PPM)
30 PPM Permissible Average over 8 hours
200 PPM Maximum for acute exposure
800 PPM Lethal 2 hour exposure

Sources
Combustion - furnaces, boilers, space-heaters, stove tops, hot water heaters ( gas), clothes dryers (gas), wood stoves, fireplaces, BBQ's, tobacco smoking, combustion engines, candles, incense, kerosene lanterns, propane appliances. Official recommendation: concentration levels should be below 30 PPM average exposure.

Our recommendation: safe concentration levels are 0 ( zero), the hazard increases dramatically above 30 PPM. Average occupational exposures above 10PPM (sustained through the work day) are unacceptable if your goal is normal function and good health long term. Smokers provide their own personal supply of carbon monoxide and may have exposure levels above safe limits when their personal CO exposure is added to ambient air exposure.

Measurement
1. Stain indicator tubes - only useful for screening industrial environments.
2. electronic devices - use transducers for continuous monitoring
3. electrochemical devices - accuracy +/- 5%

Physiology
When Carbon Monoxide is inhaled, the CO combines with the hemoglobin to form carboxyhemoglobin or COHb. The CO displaces the oxygen on hemoglobin. The COHb bond is over 200 times stronger than oxygen's bond with hemoglobin. The strong COHb bond also makes it difficult for the body to eliminate CO from the blood. Carbon Monoxide can poison slowly over a period of several hours, even in low concentrations.. Sensitive organs such as the brain, heart, and lungs suffer the most from a lack of oxygen. Unfortunately, the symptoms of CO poisoning are easily mistaken for other common illnesses and CO poisonings are often misdiagnosed.
Symptoms such as headaches, dizziness and fatigue are common to a number of illnesses such as the flu or the common cold. These symptoms can occur with a COHb blood saturation levels of 10-30%. At 30-50% COHb symptoms are nausea, severe headaches, dizziness, and increased pulse and respiration. COHb levels over 50% cause progressive symptoms proceeding to loss of consciousness, collapse, convulsions, coma, and finally death.

How much is dangerous?
High concentrations of carbon monoxide kill in less than five minutes. At low concentrations it will require a longer period of time to affect the body. Exceeding the EPA concentration of 9 ppm for more than 8 hours will have adverse health affects. The U.S. Occupational Health and Safety limit for healthy workers is 50 ppm.

Carbon monoxide detectors, which are designed to protect against high concentration of carbon monoxide are required to sound an alarm when concentrations are greater than 100 ppm. Continued exposure to carbon monoxide can cause permanent brain, nerve, or heart damage. Some people require years to recover while others might never fully recover.

The time of exposure, the concentration of CO, the activity level of the person breathing the CO, and the person's age, sex, and general health all affect the danger level. Exposure to Co at a concentration of 400 ppm will cause headaches in 1 to 2 hours; in 3 to 5 hours the same concentration can lead to unconsciousness and death. Physical exertion, with an accompanying increase in respiration rate, shortens the time to critical levels by 2 or 3 fold. Respiratory capacity decreases and the risk of heart attack increases at levels well below 50 ppm.

CO poisoning should be suspected when:

  • Entire family is sick at the same time.
  • Flu-like symptoms decrease while away from the house.
  • Illness is present when gas appliances are in use.
  • Excess moisture on the interior of windows.

     

    Urgent treatment- CO poisoning
    Move immediately into fresh air; administer oxygen if available. go to hospital for treatment. In severe cases, patients are treated in a hyperbaric chamber which forces carbon monoxide from the body.

    The half-life of carboxyhemoglobin in fresh air is approximately 4 hours - complete flushing takes 12 to 24 hours. Oxygen and hyperbaric chambers, can reduce CO damage, speed recovery, and reduce medical problems.

    Loss of consciousness suggests high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning, and patients tend to have symptoms for several weeks. They will suffer from headache, fatigue, loss of memory, difficulty in thinking clearly, irrational behavior, and irritability. Recover can be slow and frustrating. Some individuals suffer permanent brain and organ damage. Victims may be highly sensitive to CO for the rest of their lives.

    A breath test can determine carbon monoxide levels. Medical laboratories can measure carboxyhemoglobin levels in the blood. Carboxyhemoglogin levels in the blood drop after the victim is removed from the carbon monoxide source Because the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning may last for months, normal carboxyhemoglobin levels in the blood 24 or more hours after exposure are not relevant.

     


  • Greg Haley Home Inspection LLC · 308 Fayette Dr. Fayetteville, NY 13066 · 315-559-6666 · greg@ghaley.com
    Greg Haley is a full service home inspector near Syracuse NY, serving all of Onondaga and Madison counties. Services include residential home inspections, 48 hour radon testing, Granite countertop testing for radiation and radon, pest inspections, septic dye testing.